Grieving family and friends came together at Trinity Chapel in Powder Springs, Georgia on Saturday afternoon to say their final farewells to 17-year-old Jordan Davis, who was gunned down by accused shooter Michael Dunn, 45, at a gas station in Jacksonville, Florida on November 23rd.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Dunn claims that he felt threatened by the teen — who was sitting inside of an SUV with friends — and loud music coming from the vehicle, so he shot inside of it 8 or 9 times before driving away leaving Davis to die in a friend’s arms.
None of the teens had weapons.
See video clip from Jordan’s funeral service below:
Upon hearing that Dunn, who has been charged with second degree murder and attempted murder, might use the “Stand Your Ground” defense, Jordan’s father, Ron Davis, voiced his disbelief, reports News4Jax.com:
“If you feel threatened, most people call 911. He never did that as far as I’m told. He sprayed the car with bullets, knowing kids were in the car, drove to his hotel and had a good night’s sleep. He came down the next day, found out someone died, my son Jordan Davis, and still didn’t call the authorities,” said Davis.
Jordan’s mother, Lucia McBath, released the following statement:
“The family of the late Jordan Davis would like to thank everyone for your prayers as well as your expressions of love, care and concern.”
Former co-workers of Jordan’s father at Delta Airlines, where he worked for years before retiring, and firefighters from Jacksonville Fire Department, joined to give Jordan a poignant send-off when his body was flown from Jacksonville to Marietta for the funeral service. The firefighters gave the teen a water salute as the plane began to taxi don the runway.
See footage from FirstCoastNews below:
Though Jordan’s family is adamant that justice be served, his father insists that he does not want revenge.
I don’t think this country can stand anymore revenge,” he told reporters in front of his home on Friday.
Jordan was laid to rest at Kennesaw Memorial Park.
Follow us on Twitter @PraiseDC
Follow @praisedc for the latest gospel and local news!
— 104.1 PraiseDC (@Praisedc) October 24, 2012
Find us on Facebook!
- Bishop Secular: Why Every Male Should Get Manicures & Pedicures [EXCLUSIVE AUDIO]
- Jonathan Butler Plays Blues Alley (interview)
- A Pillar in Our Community Is Gone Home to Be With the Lord: Bishop James Steadman
- Beauty and Health with Make Up artist to the stars Kym Lee: Holiday Glam Soiree
- Experience Christmas With Earnest Pugh & Friends! [EXCLUSIVE]
The Daily Sermon [GALLERY]
1. Frederick D. Haynes: Conquering The Storm
1 of 5
2. T.D. Jakes: Resisting Satan's Tricks
2 of 5
3. T.D. Jakes: God Wants To Heal You So You Can Go On .
3 of 5
4. Joel Osteen: God is in control.
4 of 5
5. Donnie McClurkin: What it means to be a man
5 of 5